Monday, April 23, 2012

What Do I Know?

Things about today that were good:
  • Starbucks: java chip frappuccino and blueberry muffin
  • Late night spaghetti dinner
  • Room painting plans
  • Nathan finding my wallet (bless)
  • Devin and Imaani being sweet, loving angels
  • New music
  • Outfit planning
  • All of my sisters looking their fiercest for our final chapter meeting of the semester

Things about today that were okay:
  • Writing some of an essay
  • Giving in to the temptation of Twitter
  • Work (I got another pledge: proof that miracles happen)
  • The weather (sun: good, wind: no just no)
  • Marginal improvement in Scramble With Friends

Things about today that were bad:
  • Becca and Lisa not needing calendars for next semester
  • Wanting to wear my ring but not knowing where it is
  • The sink being backed up because my IQ becomes steadily lower the longer I breathe Georgia air
  • General lack of organization
  • Unpainted toenails
  • My throat hurting
  • Apathy

The closer I get to the close of the semester, the more I want to just collapse. This whole semester has been me regressing in terms of being able to handle anything at all: I forget when I've showered, whether I've washed my face, where my Petrel pass is, where I last put my glasses. I forget appointment dates and assignments and whether I've answered people's text messages. I get confused trying to walk places, pausing mid-stride and thinking, "Shouldn't I be going around the other way? It'd be faster." I've spent a lot of time crying in bathrooms or my dorm room when it's empty; I started crying on stage during the Singer's concert, even, and during Jess and Leila's initiation.

The last time I went home, I had lunch with my grandma, and in response to a question about whether I liked Oglethorpe, she said, "She seems to like it. I don't know; sometimes her blog seems a little...," and I guess it's true. I can understand how this blog might make it look as though I'm desperately unhappy here. But to tell you the truth: I don't know how to differentiate between the place and the person. I'll admit, I've been happier the times I've gone home. But the times I've gone home have been vacations: fewer worries, fewer obligations, fewer restrictions. It's not the same. If I were to live and go to school at home, it could be I'd be the same wreck there that I am here. I don't know how to answer that question without actually taking the Mythbusters approach of just living the experience. And I can't exactly afford to go flip-flopping between schools; which I'm not convinced is even possible? You can't just try on lifestyles like they're pairs of shoes.

Still, it's been suggested that I might be happier living at home. It's been suggested that I might be happier, attending a different university. And I honestly don't know how to reply to that kind of suggestion. I might feel exceptionally lonely right now--especially with the promise of friends and family back home dangling right in front of my eyes--and I might be upset, thinking that I've possibly managed to alienate a possible friend (however surprised I might have been, initially, by the idea) just as some of my few others are preparing to graduate, but I don't know that it's a permanent thing. My mood is incredibly malleable. Mercurial. I have trouble basing my decisions on it, and therefore most often resort to logic, and so far, the logic of my staying vs. my going looks a bit like this:
  • Money???
  • Who else would want me
  • Tri Sigma?
  • Plans I've set up already! Living in the house with Dona! Singers!
  • My family though
  • Devin! Lauren!
  • Living on my own is cool beans (sometimes?) because independence
  • Jobs
  • Good food and games
And man, I dunno. It's funny how I really like to make lists, but I rarely ever use them to help me accomplish things. I don't write to-do lists, I don't write pro-and-con lists. Maybe I should start. Maybe the black-and-white of pen and paper will make all of my thoughts more black-and-white, more cut-and-dry, straight-and-narrow, fast-and-easy. The ultimate aim is simplicity, right?

I don't know, but the last thing anyone needs to be doing is sitting up at 4 AM contemplating her life choices and reasons for doing things, right? Heavy hearts have trouble maintaining a good sleeping rhythm. Ignore that I made that fact up.

Here's to hoping you're all currently dreaming sweet dreams. Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment