Friday, April 13, 2012

Come Around

Today's motto has been (drumroll):

Props to Becca and Daily Pep Talk From a Best Friend

And so far, it's served me extremely well. I urge all of you to take it and save it for when you need it. I did.

Other good things about today:
  • Impromptu sisterhood outside of the library
  • Lovely weather
  • Soft sweaters
  • An embrace from Justin Sabree
  • Actually getting to laugh a bit at work (Thank you, Danny)
  • Ice cream
  • A good hair day
  • Lisa ensuring that I woke up to my alarm because she's an angel
  • Morning texting with Becca
  • Ali: "Your boyfriend looks adorable today"
  • Nice men from England (Good luck finding a job!)
  • Black and white French films
  • Milk out of a mug
  • Nutella out of the jar
  • Dona and I are officially living together!
  • Imaani is a peach
  • Callie is still ridiculous
  • Skyping with Angelica and Matt in the wee hours of the morning
  • A lovely e-mail from Dr. Terry
  • Delaney, makin' a sandwich like Delaney does
  • Heather bein' presh
  • Hugs from Lilly and Catherine
  • Baby socks from Karen
  • Ehre sei dir, Christe and Daniel Pinkham's Wedding Cantata (seriously you guys please go to the Singer's Concert, I love singing this stuff)
  • John Cage and his 4'33"

Allow me to elaborate a bit on that last bullet point. So John Cage is a composer, right? But he's a revolutionary composer of the twentieth century, so he's totally cray, because he's experienced all of these different styles and types of music and now he's sticking things into the strings of a piano in order to produce a ton of different percussive sounds. But that's not the point. The point is that John Cage was big on Eastern religion and philosophy and wrote 4'33" to reflect the idea that music is something that humans perceive, right? They accept something as music because that's how they've been conditioned to accept it and if you take silence but you call it music; if you designate a specific amount of time for only that silence, if you have a man sit at a piano and do nothing but open and close the lid between each "movement"... What are you proving? A whole bunch of beautiful things, okay. You are proving that I want to kiss you on the mouth because that is brilliant and I am in love with you for it.

I am in love with today. Despite any of the mess-ups, despite changing outfits one hundred times, despite eating an entire bag of popcorn, despite my period (TMI? Whatever), despite insurance companies being hard to deal with, despite people being unemployed. I am absolutely, wholly, and irrevocably in love with today and I kiss it goodbye with a very satisfied mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment